Congressman Keller stands up for taxpayers, votes against $2 trillion Biden bailout

Washington, D.C. — Today, Congressman Fred Keller (R-PA) released the following statement after voting in opposition to President Biden and House Democrats’ $2 trillion spending package:

“It is disingenuous to the people we represent to call this legislation ‘COVID relief’ when less than 10 percent of its $2 trillion price tag goes to public health measures. Before Congress spends another cent of the people’s money to address the pandemic, we must first drive out the funds already appropriated, $1 trillion of which has yet to be spent. Washington Democrats’ endless spending on non-COVID related items is reckless and only serves to hurt those who they claim to help. Americans need relief that is temporary, targeted, and tied to COVID-19. Unfortunately, this bill fails on each of those benchmarks, and our kids and grandkids will be paying for it in higher taxes and lost opportunities for generations to come.”


Last month, Congressman Keller penned an Op-Ed on the real cost of Biden’s bailout which ran in the Washington Times, as well as the Sunbury Daily ItemWilliamsport Sun-GazetteLewistown SentinelLock Haven ExpressTowanda Daily Review and Milton Standard-Journal.

In his Op-Ed, Keller explained that only 9 percent of this spending plan goes to public health spending, while the other 91 percent addresses political items unrelated to the pandemic, including:

  • $12 billion in foreign aid
  • $510 billion in local and state bailouts
  • $86 billion to prop up multi-employer pension plans
  • $34 billion to expand Obamacare
  • $200 million for the Institute of Museum and Library Services
  • $135 million for the National Endowment for the Arts
  • $135 million for the National Endowment for the Humanities

The vast majority—95 percent—of the $130 billion for K-12 schools will not actually help get kids back in the classroom because it will not be spent this year.

Because of the exorbitant price-tag of this proposal and how it has been fast-tracked through Congress, the $1.9 trillion cost must be offset, which could trigger cuts to existing federal programs that seniors, veterans, and farmers rely on. That could include an approximately $30 billion cut to the Medicare program every year for the next 10 years starting in 2022, as well as cuts to payments to military retirement and farm support programs.